Four years before St. Louis was chartered as a city in 1823, Christ Church was organized by 26 people who assembled for a service in a building that previously had been a dance hall and a courtroom. That worship service on Oct. 24, 1819, was the first for an Episcopal-Anglican congregation west of the Mississippi River.
1210 Locust Street
St. Louis, MO 63103
Front Slides: Timothy K. Hamilton, John Montre, Jeffrey Carter
Other photography: Jeffrey Carter, Brendan Jones O’Connor